Jesus Calling the First Disciples
Journey Through The Bible: Jesus calls the first disciples
Scripture Reading: John 10:2-4 "But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice." #1150
Introduction: Last time we looked at Jesus beginning his ministry. Matt 4:12-17 #1038, Mark 1:14-15 #1073, Luke 4:14-15Today we see Jesus calling the first disciples. Matt. 4:18-22 #1038, Mk. 1:16-20 #1073, Lk. 5:1-11 #1104, John 1:35-51 #1138 Next week we will see the miracle of Jesus turning Water to Wine. John 2:1-12 #1139
As we look at the calling of the first disciples we see each gospel presenting different information about these callings. Matthew and Mark are pretty short and straightforward, Luke gives more detail about the fishermen and being called fisher of men, and John presents us with the fact that Andrew, Peter's brother was a disciple first of John the Baptist. Let's read this section in chronological order.
Proposition: We are called to be fishers of Men.
T.S.: Our focus in this life needs to be on Jesus and bringing others to Him.
I. We are to be fishers of Men.
-Luke 5:1-10 #1104
- Jesus asks us to do things we sometimes think are foolish. V. 1-5 (1 Cor. 1:18-31)
-When we do what Jesus desires, our blessings overflow. V. 6-7 (Matthew 6:9-13)
- We often feel inadequate for the blessings we receive. V. 8-10A (Philippians 4:10-20)
-Our calling is much like the apostles, come follow me. (Matthew 28:16-20)
II. We are to leave this world behind and focus on Jesus.
- Matt. 4:18-22 #1038, Mk. 1:16-20 #1073, Lk. 5:1-11 #1104, John 1:35-51 #1138
-When they were asked, they left everything to follow Jesus. (Three areas)
1. Their livelihood, they saw the miracle and trusted Jesus could provide. (Mt. 6:19-24)
2. Their father, they followed the true father of everything. (Matthew 19:23-30)
3. Their way of life, they were willing to follow that which was better.
Let us be fishers of men and rely on Jesus by making him the focus of our life.